What you eat and drink when you are breastfeeding is extremely important. Even foods that we actually consider quite healthy may have an adverse effect on the health of your baby. One such food is cow’s milk. Most moms notice that the baby has allergic reactions when she drinks cow’s milk, and here is why.
What causes this reaction?
When you consume milk, the proteins in cow milk tend to mix or bind to the breast milk, leading to allergies in the little one when you breast feed him or her. Babies do not have the ability to process these milk proteins and are usually lactose intolerant. This condition is known be several names such as cow’s milk protein intolerance, cow’s milk protein allergy or food protein induced enterocolitis syndrome. The chances increase when there is a history of food allergies in the family, if the baby is introduced to formula too early, the nutritional plan followed by the mother and many more factors.
What are the symptoms?
The allergic reaction to cow’s milk protein can be mild or severe. The common symptoms that you will notice are:
- Redness of the skin
- Breathing difficulties
- In extreme cases, this may even lead to anaphylaxis where the airway of the baby is blocked leading to severe breathing issues. This allergic reaction could also prove to be fatal if not treated immediately.
- Diagnosing this condition
- If your baby has these allergic reactions, they need to be checked by a pediatrician immediately. There are specialized tests such as skin prick tests or even blood tests that can help determine the reaction to cow’s milk. The mother is also tested to understand the response of the immune system to cow’s milk. This is done with a blood test to measure the amount of antibodies produced in response to the consumption of milk.
- How to prevent it?
- It is best to avoid consuming milk as the first step to avoiding this allergy. You can also ask your pediatrician to prescribe probiotics that can help the baby’s digestive system to prevent other allergic reactions.
- Mama and Peaches provides you with several beverage alternatives through their special subscription boxes. You can find several products such as beauty and bath products, gourmet foods, toys and other pregnancy related items from the best brands in these boxes. Get yours now!
You can also try –