Your baby may have at least one ear infection by the time he is three years old. These infections can be extremely painful for your little one and can cause a great deal of discomfort.
It is harder to identify with babies, making it a nightmarish situation for new moms and dads. The best cure for ear infections is prevention. There are some precautionary measures that you can take to delay or prevent this condition.
What causes ear infection?
Ear infections are mostly caused during the period when the Eustachian tube of the baby is developing. When they are younger, the immune system of children is also weaker and is unable to fight these infections off effectively. It is between the ages of 3 to 6 months that your child is most susceptible to these infections.
How to prevent ear infections?
Here are some simple tips to prevent this condition altogether:
- Breastfeeding your child up to the age of 12 months is one of the best ways to improve immunity against such infections. In case you are unable to breastfeed, make sure that your child is in an upright position when being bottle fed.
- Do not expose the child to polluted air. Try to get as much fresh air outdoors as possible to prevent infections of the ear. Exposing babies to cigarette smoke is one of the primary causes of ear infections in infants.
- Make sure that your child gets all the vaccines as per the schedule. This helps build your little one’s immunity and prevents several health issues, including ear infections.
- Avoid using a pacifier. The earlier you choose to wean the baby off the pacifier, the less likely he or she is to catching an ear infection.
- If your child is getting ear infections very frequently, then it is a good idea to see the doctor. Small plastic devices may be inserted into the eardrum surgically to prevent accumulation of fluid and to ventilate the ear cavity. When children are older, the adenoids may also be removed in order to prevent ear infections.
- Mama and Peaches understands how stressful it can be when your child falls sick. Mamahood is no easy thing and we make it as easy as possible with handpicked baby products, bath and beauty products for mom, gourmet snacks and several other goodies with each subscription box. Choose your plan now for great surprises every month.
You can also read this