Motherhood is a roller coaster of emotions, where you initially feel it would be a breeze. Baby wakes up, smiles, diaper duty? Feed time, followed by burp? You’ve got this, all the books you read have prepared you for this day. Until sleep deprivation meets gastric delights.
Fashion sense abandons you; your social life revolves around discussions on newborn infant care products and sleep training. Conversations with your spouse turn into whispers of the latest baby cute moments.
Yet, amid the sleep deprivation and never-ending laundry baskets, a magical transformation occurs. You fall in love with the little one, who sees you with captivating eyes. The unique aroma like warm, sweet milk and honey evokes a range of emotions. Laughter and joy emerge from watching the angelic face. And you find the strength to carry on.
You forget binge-watching the latest OTT shows and your free time is replaced by a frantic Google marathon search for tips for newborn care at home. And you develop superhuman multitasking skills, singing lullabies while researching essentials for newborn baby care.
Let’s dive into the whimsical universe of Basic Care for Newborns.
A Complete Guide for Parents - Basic Care of NewBorn
Feeding and Nutrition
Feeding and nutrition for a newborn is essential, it's crucial as it sets the course for their healthy development. There are two major feeding options – breastfeeding and formula feeding.
Breast Feeding: Breast milk perfectly meets the first food requirement for healthy infants. Offering the complete nourishment essential for newborns. It is a natural source of nutrients, proteins, fats, vitamins, and antibodies, fostering immunity in your newborn baby.
Breastfeeding creates an emotional bond between mother and child. And can be easily digestible and thus does not create any digestive issues in your little ones. Breastfeeding is not only essential for your baby, but it also helps you in postpartum recovery by aiding uterus contraction and weight loss.
Not everyone can breastfeed, and formula is a perfectly acceptable alternative that can provide complete nutrition for newborns.
Formula Feeding: Modern formulas are meticulously designed to approximate the composition of breast milk and provide complete nutrition for most newborns.
For formula feeding:
- Choose paediatrician-recommended formulas
- Sterilise equipment before and after use. For this, thoroughly clean bottles, nipples and any other feeding equipment with hot, soapy water.
- Follow preparation instructions, using the correct ratio and clean water. Remember, newborn care after delivery is vital, and use only filtered or clean water to prepare the formula milk.
- Here are some steps you must take into consideration while giving formula to your newborn:
- Test the formula's temperature by placing a few drops on your wrist. It should be lukewarm, not hot.
- Use feeding time for bonding, maintain eye contact, talk, or sing to your newborn for a cosmic connection.
- Follow newborn hunger cues for feeding frequency.
- Pause for burping - gently pat or rub their back until they release any trapped air.
- Refrigerate the formula for not more than 24 hours, discard leftovers, and monitor growth with paediatrician guidance.
In newborn care, whether breast or formula-fed, embrace the unique journey without judgement.
Diapering and Hygiene
Hygiene is one of the main priorities for newborn infant care. It is a messy journey of surprises that one must be prepared and well-stocked for. Below are some recommendations:
- Until the umbilical cord stump falls off, keep the area clean and dry. Use a gentle alcohol swab if recommended by your paediatrician.
- While choosing a diaper for your little one, choose a diaper that fits snugly and comfortably.
- Change the size in case of frequent leaks or if there’s red around the legs.
- Use fragrance-free, gentle baby wipes to cleanse during diaper changes.
- Remember to pat, don't rub, to prevent any skin irritation.
- Apply a mild baby moisturiser or diaper cream recommended by your paediatrician to combat dryness, especially in delicate areas.
- Give your baby’s bottom some airtime to prevent moisture build-up.
Remember, every baby is different, so consult your paediatrician to get personalised advice.
Sleep Patterns and Routines
Your bundle of joy peacefully sleeping in a sleep sack, dreaming away in a cloud of tranquillity is the best stress buster you may need, especially when night and day seem to swap roles and you’ve been on your toes.
Newborns’ sleep patterns change every week; sleeping for almost 18 hours a day for the first few weeks, but never at a stretch.
For the first few months, your baby will wake up often for feeding, and to create the right sleeping environment, select the right Mustard Seed Pillow and keep the noise levels at a minimum. Swaddling your baby in a comfy muslin swaddle helps mimic the womb environment when it comes to naps.
Above all, embrace the chaos, unpredictable sleep won't last forever and adjust your routine based on your little one's needs.
Bath time is a joyous aquatic adventure of soapy giggles. Keep it simple with two to three weekly dips and gentle shampooing once a week. Ensure a warm room and opt for mild, tear-free baby products. Always support the baby's head and wrap them in cosiness afterwards, especially during sponge baths until the umbilical cord falls off. Remember to have essentials within reach, making it a seamless, bonding experience. Embrace the splash zone, sing, talk, and play for delightful memories.
Parenthood is a wild ride, of sleepless nights, where worries fade in baby’s cute smiles and laughter. Embrace the madness, trust your heart, savour the mishaps, and know that amid spit-up, gurgling, bathing splish-splash or diaper changing, you are doing a great job.
To make your parenting journey easier, Mama & Peaches bring you a comfy and cute collection of infant clothing, sleeptime and nursery essentials for your baby. Designed with love and utmost care, these baby essentials are going to make your parenting journey a easy-peasy one!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the 4 basic needs of a newborn baby?
Abundant love, food, good sleep and clean fresh dry diapers - that's what your bundle of joy needs.
What are the basic hygiene care of newborns?
Gentle warm splashes of cleanliness, right size fresh and dry diapers accompanied with abundant snuggles and warm swaddles of comfort are essential for newborn infant care.
Why is newborn hygiene important?
Newborns are susceptible to allergies, therefore hygiene is crucial for newborn care to safeguard their delicate immune systems and promote overall health, ensuring a thriving start to life.